Sunday, November 1, 2020

40 Favorite Birthday Memories


I once did an entire sermon series on the number 40.  It's everywhere.  Jesus fasted for 40 days.  Moses was atop Mt. Sinai for 40 days.  Jesus ascended 40 days after his resurrection from the dead.  The Israelites wandered for 40 years. 

In scripture 40 signals a kind of change:  After 40 days, the devil departed, Moses left Mt. Sinai, and Jesus ascended.  After 40 years the promised land was within sight.

Maybe that's why turning 40 feels so significant.  What kind of change will it mean for me?

I don't know, but I do know 40 began with a bang thanks to my family, my pastor friends, my DC friends, and my work friends.  Cliché alert:  The best things in life aren't things.  Relationship with God and relationship with others is it.  Nothing compares.  

I'm not sure what's ahead, but I am sure these people, these relationships will continue to enrich my life.  Here are 40 favorite memories to share with you from October 2020:

  • Celebrating Mary Dee, Eleanor, and Aunt Katie in Kentucky.  Eating cake made by my sister-in-law Jaime.
                              
  • Socially-distanced dining with my parents in Kentucky.

  • Finding my Mom's Master's Thesis in the attic.  Major props, Pat. 

    • Kourtney popped on down to Beaver Dam while I was in Kentucky because she is an all-star friend.  Here she is with a slotted spoon of her brother's.
    • Surprise Harry Potter dinner with my pastor pals.  Gah.  I love them.  

     
    • The decor was nothing short of inspiring.  Shout out Dianna.
    • The snacks were adorable.  Have yourself a golden snitch.
    • Bruce baked this cake from scratch and Alessandra added the Harry Potter lettering.  That chocolate frosting is the best I've tasted.

    • Birthday lunch with these all-stars who have dropped everything to help me numerous times. We ate cake (see above) that I put in my trunk for safe-keeping (trunk cake).
    • Later that day I forgot about the cake and it...did not survive the trunk.  Sorry trunk cake.
    • En route to a work destination I stayed with Bruce and Alessandra in Culpeper.  I also convinced Laura and Kenny to bring their brand new RV and park it in Bruce and Alessandra's yard.  IT WAS AMAZING.
    • Jam session at Bruce and Alessandra's house (in masks!)
    • Alessandra and Bruce welcome me into their home no less than 4 nights per month as I travel throughout Virginia.  They listen, cook for me, and are two of my favorite people.
    • Voting.  Waited 102 minutes.  Worth every one.
    • Aunt Mary sent me these socks.
    • I wrote almost 40 entries about turning 40.  It was a good exercise.  I like to write, and it was good to focus on gratitude.  Sometimes it's been difficult to be thankful (especially this year).
    • Friends sent and gave me the most thoughtful gifts.  Thanks Smiths and Tiff/Tif.
    • My nieces called me to sing Happy Birthday
    • I am loving early morning walks with Brooke in DC.  We see and hear history.  It's cold, but we talk, talk, talk (just like West Wing).  It's one of my favorite new traditions.

    • In early October I went to a Facebook ColorStreet Nail Party and had the best time.  It was so much fun, so I am hosting one myself.  I'm posting live videos like they're going out of style.  Join us.
    • Brooke, Mary, Artemia, and Cindy organized an AMAZING, Covid-respecting gathering and parade.  It was incredibly meaningful.  I could cry just typing about it.  There were cards from all over the country (THANK YOU) and a parade of friends from Memorial Baptist, the church that loved and grew me up as a pastor.  Here's the beginning of the party where I thought just a few of us (masked and on a porch!) were dressing up Disney style for some cake.  Donald Duck (AJ) and Ariel (Katie) enjoy some cheese (Katie) and drooling (AJ).
    • Brooke says "Let's go outside and take pictures!  The light is good!"  Brooke always says this so we all hop up.  Look at this sweet picture of Brooke and her hubby Jason.  
    • A pic with the children of my friends.  Gah.  It's like loving little versions of your favorite people.  Please note Ariel's (Ellie's) dinglehopper (fork).
    • Then surprise a parade started.  All Ariel knew to do was wave.  So much love from my friends.  Oh my.
    • The cars were decorated FABULOUSLY.  This one started the parade.  It was, after all, the one year anniversary of the Nats winning the World Series.  What a joy to see this couple.  I read scripture at their wedding (10?) years ago!

    • These friends helped me find a place to live when I moved back to northern Virginia.  We've been through thick and thin.  We also share a love for the Nats.
    • These friends are dear to me.  They're gifted with hospitality and humor (among other things).  Randi, Mary, and I took a trip to NYC in November and it was the best.  

    • This is when the tears began flowing.  Colleen made a poster with a picture of Pete on it.  We lost Pete not too long ago.  I know he would've been at the parade--yelling something hilarious and wanting to talk politics no doubt.  I miss him.  Adam, Pete's son, is in the car.  He was a senior in the youth group at Memorial Baptist when I started there, and returned to mentor youth after graduating college.  
    • The Hernandez family is dear to me, though you cannot tell by this picture.  Jesse dressed as Ursula, so we had to play the part.
    • Sally and I served together for 6 years at Memorial Baptist.  I was at the hospital when Elias was born, and Emmelia has come to visit in Scottsville.  I loved serving alongside Sally
    • Hannah and Jessica arrived in style--the style of a mermaid appearing outside of a Honda Civic sunroof.  I love it.

    • The Hills, Charlotte Benjamin, and others (forgive me if I have forgotten others!) also rolled on by.  It was a gift to see everyone.  My first roommate in Arlington, Andrea Lupo, and her husband Jeff Morrow paraded by too.  I married them a year-and-a-half ago!  More happiness.

    • You'll see this picture twice, because the first time I want to highlight the Piñatagram.  It came in the mail and was filled with candy.  GOOD CANDY.  Thanks Kudners.
    • Artemia, Sally, and I started at Memorial in 2006.  What a joy to share 14 years of friendship with them.

    • Snow White (Mary), Bruno (Jon), Ariel (Ellie), and Belle (Katherine) hosted us.  They made a lovely charcuterie board, and Jon and the girls decorated the back porch.  Everything was perfect.  Mary is such a good person.
    • Elsa (Cindy) made the cake, crackers, and cauliflower soup from scratch.  All delicious.  Cindy Schall is one of the best.  Don't forget it.
    • Here I am with said cake.  Let me tell you about it:  One white cake layer, one raspberry cake layer, and another white cake layer.  Chocolate mousse held it all together.  The top and sides were buttercream, and dark chocolate dots decorated the top.  Cindy had a Disney printout with my name (!!!) and age on it.  Spectacular.  These people hummed Happy Birthday to me.  Artemia spoke the words.
    • We went back inside and Brooke had created a video of pictures and kind words from family and friends.  Again, waterworks.  "Brooke!  My best friend!  It's my best friend!"
    • Party's Over.  I thought it was 10:00p and it was time to go so I started to leave.  It was 7:50.  I think their love, gifts, and grace were so wonderful I was overwhelmed.  They have teased me mercilessly since (as they should).
    • This is a stack of posters and cards from all over the nation.  Again, thanks to my friends I felt the love from so many people.  Thank you, friends.

    Thank you friends and family.  Thank you.

    1 comment: