Friday, February 12, 2021

My Uncle Tom

In November, my Uncle Tom had COVID which developed into double pneumonia.  He miraculously recovered and was able to go home, but eventually his health took a turn for the worse and he died on Wednesday.  

I didn't know Uncle Tom was different until I was older.  I only knew he liked to play with toys, and enjoyed coloring with Ben and me.  Slowly I began to understand Tom had special needs.  I don't remember it being spelled out for me; I only remember he was family and that we loved him.


Tom loved his sisters and his parents.  Tom worked for 40 years at a tape factory with his dad.  He liked Batman.  Dairy Queen Dilly Bars were his favorite; Dad would take a bag full to Tom and his friends.  Often we'd visit Tom when I was home for Christmas, and he was either in a great mood or a not-great mood (I can relate). Either way we'd end up getting ice cream.

I am thinking of Tom this evening, and I wanted to tell you about him.  I am grateful for Tom's life, and for my parents for loving him.

No comments:

Post a Comment