Sunday, July 10, 2022

Bonnie Scotland

They call it bonnie Scotland for good reason.  It's lovely. 

The lion share of Saturday afternoon was spent at the Alva Highland Games.  What a wonderful experience!  I'd read about caber tossing, but seeing it in person was amazing!  Basically, a fella in a kilt picks up a telephone pole, balances it, runs, and then attempts to flip it. Many were able to run with the pole, but flipping is another story.  We only saw one fella (we dubbed him "Green Socks") who was able to do it.  Green Socks was also excellent at other sports.  He had a following, not a few of which were in our group.

Today (Sunday) was spent in the Trossachs.  We visited the 🎶🎶bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond 🎶🎶 where we took a wee cruise.  


The views were stunning (!); however, I lost my phone on the 🎶🎶bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond 🎶🎶.  Our group of 11 was as sweet as sticky toffee pudding (Scottish treat!) and helped me look for it, but Katie's phone was not to be found.  So, along with new friends, I also now have many personal photographers.

But wait (!)...the wee cruise captain discovered my phone and will deliver it to our hotel on Tuesday!  If he didn't snap at least 100 selfies on the 🎶🎶bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond 🎶🎶 I will be severely disappointed.

We enjoyed lunch at the Drover's Inn, which was built in 1705.  


The afternoon concluded by meeting Highland dairy cows.  Many in our group were waiting for this moment with bated breath, but not me.  I finally threw caution to the wind and fed not-wee Hamish here a carrot.


Tonight we are in Stirling, and what a lovely city it is!  After dinner we walked around the city to see the castle, church, graveyard, and grounds.  

I am loving the group vibe, and have enjoyed hearing their stories and perspectives.  I am glad I am here meeting new people and trying new things.  Doing something new and different is a good way to clear out the cobwebs.  I'm grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and interesting day! Glad you got your phone back. I look forward to seeing all your pix of this beautiful land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie. I'm glad you'll be traveling with me!

      Delete