Friday, July 15, 2022

Highlands, Hagrid's Hut, & Hogwarts

The title of the post is misleading, as today there are more than 3 points and they are not alliterative.  

Highlands
This is the most beautiful place I've ever been.  Hands down.  All I can do is gape in awe.

When I travel internationally, I typically think I won't return because there are so many lands to see, people to meet, foods to taste, and cultures to experience (!) but I could definitely return to Scotland.  (I think I definitely will return to Scotland.)

With the incomparable Meg Ramey!


Hiking in Glencoe


Bagpipes
When we stopped in the Highlands to stare at the majesty of Scotland, a man started playing the bagpipes almost on cue.  Sandra, our kindhearted, fun traveler, let Mr. Bagpipes know we had a birthday gal among us and he happily obliged.  Grown people were giggling.  GIGGLING!  

Church
St. Conan's Kirk (church) is settled next to a loch.  Conan built it for his mom and while it appears medieval, it was built in the early 1900s.  There are a few stained glass windows, but the windows in the apse are clear pane and what a beauty they are!  It's got personality.


Hagrid's Hut & Hogwarts
We hiked around Claichaig Inn and, without sounding like a broken record, gaped in awe at the sights.  We also hiked to the site of Hagrid's hut!  The hut was built and filmed from this location, so we tried to summon the spirit of Hagrid.  

We later visited the famous Jacobite Steam Train, which we all know as Hogwarts Express.  The Potterheads were in their bliss.

Pretending to be Hagrid
Inns
Tonight's inn in Pitlochry is my favorite.  Take a look at this beauty, which boasts lovely, well appointed rooms in an idyllic setting.  But also... As I write from my room upstairs at 11:18p, the pub is still ROCKIN' downstairs.  This may be a lengthy post.


Tour Guide and Hostess with the Mostest
Meg and Kathleen (formally, Drs. Ramey and Burt) are an excellent pair.  I have learned loads about Scottish history, culture, food (Steak pie!  Cullen skink!), and music (hello Jimmy Shand) and they've organized a great adventure for us. 

Give WorldKind a try if you want to travel with a group (or lead a group) or the many other educational offerings on their website.

Update:  Pub is still rockin' downstairs at 11:47p.  We're at the Proud Mary stage of the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment