Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Ceilidhs, Castles, and Camaraderie

Preachers are required to be alliterative and offer 3 points, so today I give you 'Ceilidhs, Castles, and Camaraderie'.

Ceilidh (pronouced 'kay-lee')
Last night we went to a ceilidh in Edinburgh.  Ceilidh dancing is part of Scottish culture, and according to me, is a gigantic joy.  One way to imagine a ceilidh is extremely spirited square dancing (but not really).  You switch partners a zillion times and the musicians teach the dance moves at the beginning of each song.

As a perfectionist, I don't really like to do things I don't know how to do and ceilidh dancing is one of those things.  But I am on holiday, and it's good to bust out every now and again.  I was determined to dance, and not to be cheesy, but I wanted to dance not just to dance but to remind myself to live a little (!) and that you don't have to be perfect at something to try it.  

When we arrived, the ballroom was full of Scots of all ages.  It was hot and there was an aroma (!), but the body odor was overpowered by joy.  I know, it's cheesy, but everyone was having such fun.  I loved it.

I watched for awhile and was nervous to try, but my friends finally convinced me to hit the dance floor.   I'm glad I did.

It seems I had a wee bit of fun.  Photo cred:  Meg

Castles
We visited both Doune Castle and Stirling Castle this week.  Both were incredible.  I thought Doune Castle was only a shell, but I was quite wrong!  Contained inside is a mountain of history!  Mary Queen of Scots stayed here!  

Doune Castle was a treat!  Photo cred:  Holly

Stirling Castle was a marvel, and as I understand it, a favorite of many who visit Scotland.  It played a major role in the history of Scotland, as it afforded views for miles.  If you don't know much about the history of Scotland, rewind about 800ish years and get to know Robert the Bruce.  

Camaraderie
I love our group.  We are 2 Scots, 2 Canadians, and 7 Americans.  I wouldn't trade a one of them.  I have loved hearing their stories and learning about their work.  We have talked religion and politics.  I have seen pictures of their families.  These people are fun and funny.  They are helping me look for a Baptist church that needs a pastor in Scotland!  Cross your fingers.

I worried about coming by myself, but it was all for naught.  I have been included (and photographed!) every minute of the day.  I'm glad I said yes to the trip.  It's been very good for me.

I'm having the best time.  

A photo of us with Scotland's own Jimmy Shand, a favorite artist of our tour guide, Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment