Monday, April 23, 2018

Emmaus Bound (and I didn't know it)

I was up and at 'em this morning at work on a sermon, but after a few hours I needed a break.  I decided to take a walk to the church, but as a devotee of multitasking I couldn't let this be a mere walk.  Let's make this walk productive! I can pick up a commentary, listen to a ministry podcast, and maybe burn a calorie or two.  Win, win, win!

I did not bat 1000 on this sojourn.  The podcast was okay but nothing to write home about and I ended up forgetting my office key at home.  Boo!  I waved goodbye to my Anchor Bible Dictionary through the window and turned around. 

That's when I ran in to one of our church members, Clarence.


Clarence was on a walk like me, but unlike me Clarence was actually on a walk.  He was unhurried and smiling.  His arms carried tools and supplies.  Seeing Clarence brightened my day.  Together we walked and talked most of the way to the parsonage.  

Yesterday I preached on the Emmaus story, and it occurs to me now that my trek-to-get-100-things-accomplished transformed (thanks be to God!) into an Emmaus walk with a fellow disciple.  

Sometimes I miss the forest for the trees in my quest to serve.  I'm grateful God is gracious to me anyway.  Thank you God for today's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment