Friday, July 8, 2022

Every Good Adventure Begins with Cheese

I'm on my way to Scotland as I type...sort of.  My flight is delayed until 2:24a, but it's all good.  I'm grateful the flight wasn't cancelled canceled (in honor of the UK).

And interestingly enough I'm traveling to Scotland because of a trip I took to Turkey!

As a seminary student, I traveled to Turkey with classmates to visit the 7 churches of Revelation.  Allow me to chase a Turkey rabbit for a moment:  If you travel to Turkey, get thyself to Ephesus.  It's a marvel.  Scripture comes alive there.  Please visit Ephesus (!); however, no church could top Thyatira for Katie.  Thyatira is the home of Lydia (Acts 16) and Lydia was likely a pastor of a house church there.  My friend Meg and I were so excited we donned purple cloth for the occasion!

Meg, Katie, and the spirit of Lydia at Thyatira

Fast forward 15 years and Meg (now Dr. Ramey!) has her own travel company.  Meg planned a group trip to Scotland, I signed up, and I'm on my way! (Well, I will be at 2:24a)

I'm excited (!), but I'm nervous too:  This trip is a first for me as I'm traveling alone.  Yes, I know Meg and I'm excited to see her, but I don't know anyone else in the group.  I'm an extrovert, but I still get nervous.  

But, I'm not really traveling alone.  I'm taking little pieces of my friends and family with me (this is the cheesy part):
  • Kourtney helped me select a fun crossbody bag with a guitar strap.  I don't understand it, but I like it.  She also helped me buy 40 pairs of shoes for Scotland weather.  I returned 39, but she gets it. 
  • Pam sent me 20 pounds (currency!) in the mail to spend.  Queen Elizabeth is burning a hole in my pocket.
  • Randi has been educating me on Scottish history, foods, and music.
  • Leslie is welcoming me into her Scottish home before I set off with the group.
  • Mom listened to me chatter for an hour  while I paced around the airport tonight.  Props to Pat.
  • Mary loaned me the best backpack in the world.  It's stylish and the pockets are AMAZING.  I'm of the age that pocket choice and arrangement amaze me.  Mary also drove me to the airport.  Does she have time to drive me to Dulles?  No.  But did she make time?  Yes.  She also helped me book a new flight when the delay made things complicated.  Mary doesn't play.  She offered to drive me to Baltimore and I almost fainted.  Baltimore might as well be California in terms of distance from DC.  True friend alert.
Mary at Dulles.  Only true friends drive you to Dulles and that's the truth.

I'm grateful and excited!  

No comments:

Post a Comment