Friday, September 27, 2013

Running and Writing

Running and writing are kinfolk.

Sometimes a sermon comes like a freight train.  Other times it's like drinking out of a bathtub with a straw.  Can I get a witness, preacher pals?  Running is the same.

Last week my long run was painful.  My back hurt, my feet hurt, side stitches attacked and by mile 7 I wanted to lay down and eat cupcakes. Don't worry:  I finished the run, but it wasn't pretty...which is probably why I haven't gone on my long run yet this week.

I guess I'm afraid of another miserable run.  And this week is a big deal because it's 10 MILES.  That's two digits folks.  I've never run 10 miles.

I have a big writing assignment due next week.  I've spent the morning questioning, praying, and freight-train-AND-drinking-out-of-a-bathtub-with-a-straw writing.  Some of it is drivel.  Some of it may be helpful.  I've never had an assignment like this before.

Running and writing are disciplines.  Sometimes writing doesn't feel good and you have to tie your leg to a chair to get the first draft. Sometimes running doesn't feel good and you have to lace up your shoes and get out the door anyway.

But oh my goodness...the other times.

Sometimes writing does feel good and it helps you understand yourself or God or the world better.  Sometimes your writing even helps others.  Sometimes running does feel good and you feel like Giselle in Enchanted.  You dance and sing and run and rejoice. You echo Olympian Eric Liddell's words:  "When I run I feel God's pleasure."

Running and writing are kinfolk.  And whether it's a 42 draft sermon or 2 draft sermon OR a 12 side stitch run or Eye of the Tiger run, I'm grateful for both disciplines.

See you later.  The pavement is calling!

2 comments:

  1. Run and write friend!! You're so good at both! Plus the half- marathon is coming up. Tell me where... I might can go and cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, friend! The half marathon is in Richmond on Nov. 16. I'm very nervous, but the long runs make me feel like I can actually do it. I'm a turtle, but a happy turtle:)!

      Delete