Thursday, December 13, 2012

Lunch with the Greatest Generation

In need of a blessing?  Have lunch with the Greatest Generation.

After singing a few carols at the Senior Center Christmas luncheon today, we paused to give thanks for the gals and guys serving overseas.  The room fell silent.  You could hear tears being swallowed back.

A few moments of silence passed and we tried to sing "I'll be Home for Christmas." 

I was struck by the honor of singing "I'll be Home for Christmas" with a gathering of the Greatest Generation.  As we sang I wondered how many among us served in the war?  How many lost a brother or sister?  How many never saw dad return?  How many loved ones' lives have been lost to war?

I am blessed by their welcome to me and their sacrifices for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment