Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Delightful Afternoon at Lakewood Manor

Nancy and John Elliott are names I hear often at Scottsville Baptist Church.  John was the pastor from 1952 until 1968 and they are the first family who lived in the parsonage.  A few weeks ago Nancy stopped by the house and shared stories and memories.  It was a happy afternoon.

At Nancy's invitation I preached at Lakewood Manor today (a Virginia Baptist Homes Retirement Community). And my goodness: What a blessing.  I was able to meet many folks and was honored by their words and encouragement.  Allen Brown, a Virginia Baptist music leader, was running sound. (wow!)  A few years ago I was blessed to travel with Allen and others to India to work at an orphanage in Kerala.

Dinner was off the charts.  The food was great, but I couldn't have asked for better company.  I sat at the table with five strong Baptist women who truly paved the way for me and others.  I loved hearing their stories. Among these stalwarts of the faith were missionaries, WMU leaders, an IMB employee, BTSR volunteers, pastors' wives, Virginia Baptist committee members, Virginia Baptist Women in Ministry leaders, church historians, etc. etc.  One of the women was John Claypool's sister so I was able to tell her how much his writings have meant to me.  They asked good questions and were eager to hear my story.  We spent a great deal of time laughing which brought an extra dose of joy to my day.

Nancy then gave me a tour of Lakewood Manor.  It was a treat to hear her involvement in all facets of Manor life.  We paused for a picture. She is quite delightful.


I am honored to be part of Scottsville Baptist Church's rich history.  I am grateful for Nancy and others who have welcomed me into this family with loving, open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment