Sunday, March 16, 2014

Baptized in Water

Today was a celebration at Scottsville Baptist Church as we baptized Jen Gaines, Caleb Bouw, and Ashley Gaines!  You could feel the joy in the sanctuary.

Caleb, Jen, Ashley, and Katie
The call to ministry allows me the amazing privilege to baptize these folks.  What a beautiful, humbling thing.

Before immersing these friends I asked each of them "Who is your Lord and Savior?" Jen, Caleb, and Ashley each replied "Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!"  I love that.  It is testimony.  It is ownership of the decision.  It is proclamation of Jesus Christ.  In a nutshell:  It's the good news.

When I was at the Jordan River last week I bottled up some of the water.  I poured some in the baptistry this morning to mix the waters of Jesus' baptism with the waters of Jen, Caleb, and Ashley's baptism.  I later invited those who wanted to remember their baptisms to come forward to receive the sign of the cross on their hand or forehead with Jordan water.  It was a special time.

You would think the day couldn't get better, but then…cake appeared! Thanks to the families of Jen, Caleb, and Ashley for providing lunch and cake for everyone.


Thanks be to God for a wonderful day.

(At press time UVA is beating Duke:  The wonderful day continues!  Praise be!)

No comments:

Post a Comment